Thursday, October 7, 2010

mmm mmm good

A couple weeks ago I did some serious canning.
I forgot how MUCH you need to do so little. It makes me crazy.

This fall, I started with canning pears. I had 55 pears and only got 11 quarts from them, so I had to buy another bushel to can a total of 24 quarts. Sheesh! We'll have to be on rations with these, seeing as we can down a whole quart in a day, if we each have 1 serving. What can I say? They're heavenly and we can't resist!

A few days later, I helped my mother-in-law can applesauce. They have 3 apple trees in their backyard and my father-in-law picked at least 3 bushels of apples for us to can.

*The links of "how to can pears or applesauce" are not the links I used, but give you a general idea of how it's done if you don't already know.

After you wash the apples you cut out the horribly bad spots, throw them in a huge pot and cook them until they're mushy. Then you scoop them into the blessed Victorio strainer and it does all the hard work, separating the peel and core from the yummy fruit. From there you just add what sugar you want, put in your jars, and can to seal them. We ended up with 70 quarts! Wow-ie! It was a long afternoon, evening and night but it feels great to be done!
Posted by Picasa
I guess I didn't take any pics of the pears I canned but they look like they did from last year's post, only more in a jar.

What an accomplishment! Feels great to be done and see them sitting on the shelf!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...