Friday, December 9, 2011

caramel-chocolate squares


Image from Bake or Break

This is a tasty recipe, very addicting. I've been working on perfecting it for a while now. It's funny. As I searched the web for a similar recipe I found 2 variations. #1: recipe using a big 15 oz. can of evaporated milk (which I tried once and it just turned into the ULTIMATE ice cream topping, weird). #2: a similar recipe but without the coconut and more butter. Here are some links the the other variations if you wish to give them a try. #1 cd Kitchen, #2 Bake or Break, Better Homes & Gardens

1 pkg. (14 oz.) caramels
1 small can evaporated milk (5 oz.) - divided
1 package German Chocolate cake mix
2/3 c. butter, melted
1 c. coconut, flaked

3/4 c. pecans/walnuts, chopped (opt.) - I don't have too many NUT fans at my house so I usually OMIT this ingredient, but I'm sure it'd be delicious!
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips

  1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9x13" baking pan.
  2. In a large saucepan, combine caramels and 1/4 cup evaporated milk. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium-low heat until melted and smooth. Keep mixture warm over low heat, stirring occasionally.
  3. Combine cake mix, melted butter, and remaining evaporated milk in a large bowl. Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat until smooth. (Dough is thick like cookie dough.) Get out your muscles and spread half of the dough in baking pan. Set aside remainder of dough.
  4. Bake for 6 minutes; remove from oven. Then sprinkle baked layer with coconut, nuts and chocolate chips. Drizzle caramel over the chocolate chips layer. Drop remaining dough by teaspoonfuls onto caramel layer.
  5. Bake until cake portion is slightly dry to the touch (approx 15-20 minutes). Cool completely. Refrigerate until firm. 
  6. **Tip: loosen sides from pan while warm.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...