Friday, July 4, 2014

black raspberry jelly

Before I lived in PA I'd never had black raspberries, at least not that I can remember. Well, they are a BIG HIT back here. My in-laws have a big patch of wild black raspberries near the back of their property and 3 years ago I was blessed with a big container of freshly picked berries.

If you know black raspberries, you know the seed in them are bigger and coarser than the seeds in red raspberries, so when I considered making jam with these berries, I decided I'd enjoy it most if it was seedless jam, or jelly instead. I called up my sweet lady friend who is a CANNING EXPERT and asked if she had a black raspberry jelly recipe I could try. She sure did! And here it is! It's delicious! I was able to make a double batch then and again this year.

BLACK RASPBERRY JELLY
by SH

Ingredients:
5 c. crushed black raspberries (about 8 c.) **need 3 1/2 c. juice 
2 c. water
4 T. lemon juice (divided)
1 box pectin (aka Sure Jell)
5 c. sugar, premeasured and waiting in a bowl
1/2 t. butter

Directions:

  1. BRING boiling-water canner, half full with water, to simmer. Wash jars and screw bands in hot soapy water; rinse with warm water. Pour boiling water over flat lids in saucepan off the heat. Let stand in hot water until ready to use. Drain jars well before filling.
  2. To make the berry juice: Add crushed berries, 2 c. water and 2 T. lemon juice to a large (soup) pot. Bring to a boil then pour into 2 layers cheesecloth. Tie cheesecloth closed and hang to let drip about 1 hour, or until it stops dripping. Press gently. 
  3. Wash out large pot. Measure 3 1/2 c. juice exactly (or add up to 1/2 c. water to make your amount, but no more than that) and add to large pot. Stir in 2 T. lemon juice, 1 box pectin & 1/2 t. butter. Bring to a full rolling boil (which means the boil doesn't stop when you stir it) on high heat. Stir in sugar. Return to full rolling boil. Boil exactly 1 minute (while stirring constantly). Remove from heat. Skim off foam with a metal spoon.
  4. LADLE immediately into prepared jars, filling to within 1/4 inch of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two-piece lids. Screw bands tightly. Place jars on elevated rack in canner. Lower rack into canner. (Water must cover jars by 1 to 2 inches. Add boiling water, if necessary.) Cover; bring water to gentle boil. Process 5 min.. Remove jars and place upright on a towel to cool completely. After jars cool, check seals by pressing middles of lids with finger. (If lids spring back, lids are not sealed and refrigeration is necessary.)

kraft kitchens tips
HOW TO MEASURE PRECISELY
To get exact level cup measures of sugar, spoon sugar into dry metal or plastic measuring cups, then level by scraping excess sugar from top of cup with a straight-edged knife.
ALTITUDE CHART
At altitudes above 1,000 feet, increase processing time as indicated. 1,001 to 3,000 feet - increase processing time by 5 min.; 3,001 to 6,000 feet - increase processing time by 10 min.; 6,001 to 8,000 feet - increase processing time by 15 min.; 8,001 to 10,000 feet - increase processing time by 20 min.
JAM OR JELLY DIDN'T SET?
Every once in a while, you may find that your jam does not set the way you expected. If your efforts resulted in a runny batch, try our Remake Directions to improve your finished jam. If your jam still doesn't set, you can always use it as a glaze or syrup.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...