And yes, the picture above is a pretty color but the fruit is settled at the top or the bottom. I followed someone's advice to keep turning the jars as they cool (after processing) so the berries would be better dispersed throughout. (I may have turned them too many times?) Some of them turned out better than others in that regard but they all taste great!
Strawberry Jam
Prep time: 45 minutes
Processing time: 10 minutes in boiling-water or steam canner
Makes approx 8 c.
Ingredients
4 pints (8 c.) fully ripe strawberries, crushed to make 5 cups
1 box pectin
1/4 t. fruit fresh (or 2 crushed vitamin C tablets)
1/4 t. butter
7 c. sugar, measured into a separate bowl
(If I have some prep time before my actual canning day I'll wash and chop and crush the berries, put them in a plastic container and refrigerate until I'm ready to start. I'll also pre-measure my sugar and put it in a plastic container too. Doesn't seem like much but after cutting and prepping all those berries, I need to turn my time and attention to other things- aka 3 kiddos.)
Never double a jam or jelly recipe. It will not set. Jams & jellies may take up to 2 weeks to set.
If you are familiar with canning, these canning prep steps are not needed for you- because you already know the routine. But I'll include for my posterity or any others just starting out.
Canning prep:
- Fill water bath canner half full with water (or your steam canner so it touches the grate.) Bring to a simmer.
- Wash canning jars & screw lids in hot soapy water. Rinse in warm water. Pour boiling water over flat lids in sauce pan. Let stand in hot water until ready to use. Or do what I do and put them in a saucepan. Place lids in water to cover and bring to a simmer, turn to low and put the lid on. Keep lids in simmering (not boiling) water until ready for use. (Note: over-heating lids by BOILING can result in seal failure.)
- Place canning jars on a cookie sheet in a 200* oven until ready to use. (This keeps them sterile until you are ready for them.)
- Place a double layer of towels on your counter for when you pull your hot jars from the oven.
Recipe Prep:
- Wash berries. Discard stems. Chop or grind strawberries, one cup at a time, into small pieces. A potato masher works well for this. If you use a food processor, PULSE to chop. Do not PUREE. Place in a large soup pot.
- Stir pectin and fruit fresh into strawberries. Add butter to reduce foaming. Bring to a full rolling boil (which means a boil that doesn't stop bubbling when stirred) on high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar in a "up and down, up and down, around and around, side to side, side to side and around and around" pattern. Return to a full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 minute and remove from heat. Skim off foam with a metal spoon and discard in a mug.
Jam to Jar directions:
- Remove your cookie sheet filled with jars from the oven and place on your towels. Immediately ladle jam into prepared jars, filling within 1/8" from the top. Wipe jar lip and threads with a clean, damp cloth. Cover with hot 2 piece lid.Screw bands tightly.
- Place jars on
elevated rack in water bath canner or in thesteam bath canner.Lower rack into water bath canner.(I usually just use my steam canner instead of a water bath canner.) Water must cover jars by 1-2". Add boiling water if necessary. (I'll often need the water that was in the saucepan with my lids. Nice that it's there and already hot and I can just add it if I need to.) Cover. Bring water to a gentle boil THEN start your processing time of 10 minutes. - Remove jars and set upright on towel to cool completely. Cover with another towel to prevent jars from breaking by house drafts or a/c. After an hour, if strawberry pieces begin to float, gently tip jars upside-down and set for 30 minutes. Then gently turn upright and set on towel to finish cooling. (Avoid air bubbles by turning gently.)
- Next day, after jars have cooled 12-24 hours, check seals by pressing middle of lid with finger. If lid springs back, lids are not sealed and refrigeration is necessary. You can now remove the bands. Wipe the sealed jars with a clean, damp cloth. Label each jar with name of contents and date. Store in a cool, dry, dark place. Best taste and color if used within 1 year. (And we always do! No problem!)
