Saturday, September 20, 2014

Summer's bounty

Another bounteous, delicious summer. Check it out!

Look at this handsome boy! He loves corn on the cob so when Grandma offered him some he had TWO!
Yummeee! That's some good corn from Pap's field. 
Mmmm. We've also been enjoying some yummy peaches and nectarines from the orchards. So juicy and sweet. Levi digs in and doesn't give up until all that's left is the pit. ;)

Pap gave me some tomatoes from his garden and I decided I'd make some more of my roasted marinara sauce. Here's everything all mixed together ready to bake- tomatoes, oregano, basil, garlic, salt and pepper, olive oil, and chicken broth. 
(Note: I made a double batch of sauce which I ran through a Victorio strainer, the simmered for 5 hours and got 1.5 quarts of sauce. However, it will be heavenly delicious sauce which I'll save for a special occasion, but this might be one of my last ventures in sauce making. Almost 20 pounds of tomatoes, 3 hours of prep and cooking, 1/4 hour of straining, 5 hours of simmering and about 1 hour in the water bath canner for 1.5 quarts of sauce. Not sure if this math adds up.)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...