Saturday, July 9, 2016

18 minute cake

This is one of those recipes from my childhood. I remember having this at just about every church activity I ever went to. Years later, I've thought about it and never made it for my family. I HAD to try it out and see if it held up to all those memories. Luckily, it did!

18 minute cake
(Old favorites from the heart of the Columbia Basin, by Aunt EvaLu)

Sift together in large bowl:
2 cups sugar
2 c. flour
1/4 t. salt

Boil in a saucepan, then pour over sifted mixture:
4 T. cocoa powder
1/2 c. margarine/butter
1 c. cold water
1/2 c. vegetable oil

Then add:
1/2 c. buttermilk
2 eggs, well-beaten
1 t. baking soda
1 t. vanilla extract

Bake 18 minutes @ 400* in a flat jelly roll pan (I used a rimmed cookie sheet). Don't overbake. Some ovens may not require 18 minutes.

FROSTING:
1/2 c. margarine/butter
6 T. milk
4 T. cocoa powder
3 3/4 c. powdered sugar
1 t. vanilla extract

Boil margarine, milk and cocoa. Add 1 cup nuts (optional), powdered sugar and vanilla. Spread on cake while hot.


One of the things I love about this cake, other than the DOUBLE chocolate factor is the moistness it has. It is SO so yummy. When  I made it this time it came out perfectly! My family liked it, but Jackson LOVED it like I do. Yesss!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...