Wednesday, April 26, 2017

{less sugar} black raspberry jelly

I have been SO very happy with my {less sugar} strawberry jam recipe thatI figured finding a {less sugar} black raspberry jelly might be worth a try. I was right.

I have 2 versions of this recipe, and haven't decided which I like better, so I'm putting them both down here.

[less sugar] black raspberry jelly
VERSION 1

Ingredients:
12 c. Black raspberry (aka 6 pints)
1/2 c. Water
1 package less sugar Sure Jell pectin
3 c. Sugar, divided
1/2 t. Butter

Directions:
  1. Wash and crush berries. Add berries to soup pot. Add 1/2 c. Water. Boil. Drain with cheesecloth. This should produce 4 1/2 c. Juice. (You can add 1/2 c. Water to get enough juice but no more.)
  2. Mix 1/4 c. Sugar (from 3 cups measured sugar) with pectin. Add to juice in soup pot, along with butter. Once it comes to a rolling boil, add remains 2 3/4 cups sugar. Stir constantly and boil 1 minute. Then remove from heat.
  3. Process for 5 minutes in water bath or steam canner.
[less sugar] black raspberry jelly
VERSION 2

Ingredients:
8 cups berries (aka 5 cups crushed)
2 cups water
2 T lemon juice
1 package less sugar Sure Jell pectin
3 c. Sugar, divided
1/2 t. Butter

Directions:
  1. Wash and crush berries. Add berries to soup pot. Add 2 c. Water, 2 T lemon juice. Simmer and strain into cheese cloth. Let sit in cheesecloth 1 hour. This should produce about 4 1/2 c. Juice.
  2. Mix 1/4 c. Sugar (from 3 cups measured sugar) with pectin. Add to juice in soup pot, along with butter. Once it comes to a rolling boil, add remains 2 3/4 cups sugar. Stir constantly and boil 1 minute. Then remove from heat.
  3. Process for 5 minutes in water bath or steam canner.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...