Monday, October 19, 2009

clues

In case the weather changing to COLD hasn't clued you in that it's fall, here are some other clues:
*Football can be watched in our 2-3 days a week, while following multiple games at a time.
*Made the 1st batch of apple crisp of the season. See the recipe below! SO yummy with warm apple crisp and cool vanilla ice cream swirling amidst. Breakfast anyone?
*Pumpkins, mums and corn stalks ABOUND at local farm stands
*Donned the 1st sweatshirt of the season about 2 weeks ago- it felt GREAT! I love jeans and sweatshirt time. Take me out to the football game!
*Switched over to our HEAVENLY flannel sheets! LOVE 'em!
*Dug the tea kettle out of it's hibernation location for some hot chocolate! (I wasn't ready for fall yet either because I didn't have ANY marshmallows for my hot chocolate, but I survived.) =)

apple crisp
another "everyday food magazine" recipe
Prep: 20 min. Total time: 1 hr., 25 min.
Serves: 8

3/4 c. flour
1/4 c. light-brown sugar
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. + 2 T. sugar
8 T. (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold, cut into small cubes
1 c. old-fashioned rolled oats (not quick-cooking- although that's all I had and it was still awesome!)
3 lbs. apples- such as Empire, Gala, Braeburn, peeled, cored & cut into 1/2" chunks
2 T. fresh lemon juice
1/2 t. cinnamon
4-5 dashes nutmeg (Chera's addition)

1. Preheat oven to 375*.

2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, brown sugar, salt, and 2T. sugar. Cut butter into flour, using a pastry blender or 2 knives, until mixture is the texture of coarse meal. Add oats, and use your hands to toss and squeeze mixture until large, moist clumps form. Transfer to freezer to chill while you prepare apples.

3. In another large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg and remaining 1/2 c. sugar. Transfer to a shallow 2 qt baking dish (aka 8x8) and sprinkle with topping mixture. Place baking dish on a rimmed baking sheet, and bake until golden and bubbling, 55-65 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.

**A crispier crisp- The secret ti a crunchy, chunky topping is working the oat mixture into large clumps with your hands- this helps the topping hold together atop the apples while toasting to a golden brown.

1 comment:

shelly said...

Oh how I love all these signs of fall you mention! And I don't even like football, but I like the nostalgia of it anyway =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...