Saturday, December 5, 2009

congo squares

Last Sunday, I decided we needed some home-baked treat. These Congo Squares are a great "go to" recipe. It uses melted shortening (so you don't have to wait for any butter to soften) and it's quick. It's another one of those recipes I've been eating and making for a long time. Despite it's fancy name, it's basically a blondie brownie with chocolate chips. I love this recipe because it's fast, reliable and always YUMMY!

congo squares
3/4 c. shortening
2 1/4 c. brown sugar
3 eggs
2 3/4 c. flour
2 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 c. chocolate chips (and/or M&M's - opt.)

1. Preheat oven to 350* and grease a 9x13 pan; set aside.

2. Melt shortening and add sugar; stir until well mixed. Cool slightly then add eggs one at a time, mixing well.

3. Add sifted dry ingredients and chocolate chips. (Nuts may be added, if desired.)

4. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 20 min. DO NOT OVERBAKE.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Oh my goodness, your dessert recipes always wake up my sweet tooth!
We are missing you guys; the girls were talking about Alivia the other day. Claire was even the one who brought it up "I wan go play at Libia's house" it was very cute!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...