I've had these for breakfast on Christmas morning for as long as I can remember. It's a TASTY variation of cinnamon rolls.
Since I only make this special recipe once a year I end up calling Mom as she's making her orange rolls to ask her all the questions I forgot from the year before. SO, I have notes all over my recipe and decided it was time to write it all down in order so I could make better sense of it and maybe REMEMBER for next yeast. Here's hoping. :)
Dough:
2 yeast cakes dissolved in 1/2 c. warm water
1 c. boiling water
1/3 c. shortening
1/3 c. butter
1/2 - 2/3 c. sugar
2 t. salt
1 c. cold water
3-4 eggs
7 1/2 c. flour
Filling:
1 c. butter, softened
1 c. sugar
grated rein of 1 orange
Frosting/glaze:
4 c. powdered sugar
2 T. fresh orange juice
1. Fill cup with 1/2 c. warm water (100-110*) and sprinkle with yeast cakes. Stir in 2 t. sugar; let stand 10 minutes. If doubles in size= the yeast is active.
2. Pour boiling water over the shortening, butter, sugar & salt. Stir until melted; add cold water, eggs and dissolved yeast.
3. Mix in flour. Cover and store in refrigerator overnight (at least 3-4 hours, or as long as 2-3 days).
4. Separate dough into 2 batches. Roll out 1 batch and spread 1/2 the filling on; roll up and cut as for cinnamon rolls. Repeat with 2nd batch. Put in greased muffin tins, or 8x8, or 9x13 pans.
**We always arrange about 12 into the shape of a Christmas tree on a cookie sheet. Rows of 1, then 2, then 3, then 4, then 1 or 2 for the tree stump.
5. Let rise about 3-4 hours, (or roll them out on Christmas Eve, place them in the trunk of your car in the garage to rise overnight. Bake as soon as you wake up so the aroma joins you and your gifts). Bake @ 400* for 10-12 minutes.
6. When hot, spread with frosting/glaze and HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Total time: 8+ hours
Yield: about 50 rolls
1 comment:
Thank you for posting this Chera! :) They're delicious and I can't wait to make them!
Post a Comment