Thursday, March 31, 2011

frosted shortbread aka toffee bars

I can't remember the last time I made this recipe, and I don't know if I've ever made it for Josh, but apparently I have because he requested it for his birthday dessert.  It is always a crowd pleaser. In fact, if you made it for a crowd, I doubt it'd be around very long. You see, we have a family of 5 and it lasted only about 36 hours in our house. It's true, with a little more self-control they might be around longer, but have you TASTED them?! Holy Toledo! They are scrumptious! Let me know how long they last at YOUR house. ;)

I modified this Taste of Home recipe.
Frosted Shortbread
Prep: 20 minutes
Bake: 15 minute + cooling35

Ingredients

  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 4 milk chocolate candy bar (1.55 ounces each), broken into rectangles OR 1 1/2 c. milk chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional at our house)

Directions

  • In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
  • Press into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.
  • Immediately place candy bar pieces over crust. Let stand for 1 minute or until softened; spread chocolate evenly. Sprinkle with walnuts (if you like). If you DON'T use the walnuts you can write a message in the chocolate with the end of a knife before the chocolate cools. We wrote "Happy Birthday Daddy!" Cool. Cut into squares. Yield: 3 dozen.
 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...