Tuesday, September 22, 2009

bacon 'n' egg breakfast empanadas (with pic)


We LOVE this recipe! When I'm not working on Saturday morning, I'll make these for us. They're actually pretty simple, and OH SO YUMMY! Enjoy!

from "Southern Living at Home" Busy Moms Weeknight Favorites cookbook

1/2 (8 oz.) pkg cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 1/2 t. dried parsley flakes
1/2 t. seasoned salt
1/4 t. pepper

1 T. butter
5 large eggs, beaten

1 (17.3 oz.) can refrigerated jumbo flaky biscuits
8 fully cooked bacon slices, reheated and crumbled
1 egg white, lightly beaten
1 t. sesame seeds, opt.

1. Preheat oven to 375*. Stir together first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl until blended.

2. Melt butter in a 9" skillet over medium heat; add eggs, and cook without stirring, until eggs begin to set on bottom. Draw spatula across bottom of skillet to form large curds. Continue cooking until eggs are slightly thickened but still moist. (Do not sir constantly.) Remove from heat, and let cool.

3. Flatten biscuits into 5" circles. Spread cream cheese mixture over dough circles, leaving 1/2" border around edge./ Top evenly with scrambled eggs and bacon. Fold circles in half over mixture, pinching edges to seal, and place 2" apart on a lightly greased baking sheet; press sealed edges with times of a fork. Brush tops evenly with egg white. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, if desired.

4. Bake at 375* for 14-16 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.

**Note: Instead of having a big bacon mess by cooking the bacon in a frying pan, I lay my bacon like this. I line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil (for easy clean-up). Then, I put a cooling rack on the cookie sheet (that has 4 raised edges) and I lay the bacon strips on the rack. Bake at 350* for 20-30 minutes. Cool on a plate with paper towels. This is SO much easier. Your house will still smell like bacon (until you do the dishes) but you won't have spatters all over your stove top.

4 comments:

Mary said...

It sounds so delicious, but I need pictures to go with the instructions. OR...you will just have to make it for me so I can see what it's supposed to look like.

Bizz said...

I'm SO with Mary. I'm totally going to try this recipe. I'm so excited.

Ashley said...

Sounds yummy, your recipes all do! And loving your canned pears! What a woman!

Mary said...

thanks for the picture. i get the idea. i'm all over it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...